GAS LEAK DETECTION IN COSTA MESA
If you believe you smell a Natural Gas leak or if The Gas Company shut off the gas supply to your home or business and told you to call a plumber, you are on the right page. Our plumbers are experts in the art of troubleshooting gas leaks, and with the help of an Electronic Gas Sniffer, we can quickly identify the source of the problem, so that we can provide an estimate for a safe, legal repair.
What to Do if You Suspect a Gas Leak
Whether you are absolutely certain or have little more than a nagging suspicion, gas leaks should be treated with urgency and extreme caution. The first thing you should do is get away from the source of the leak. Below we have outlined the best course of action for dealing with a natural gas leak at business or home in Costa Mesa.
- Immediately evacuate the property! Once you are in a safe location, far away from the leak, call either call 911 or SoCalGas at 1-800-427-2200
- At all costs you should refrain from smoking, lighting a match, candle, lighter, or any other flame anywhere within the general proximity of the leak.
- Do not switch on electrical appliances, light switches, or plugin or unplug cords from outlets. Even the smallest spark can turn a moderate gas leak into a severe explosion.
Once you and your family are out of the home at a safe distance, it is recommended that you put in a call to the local gas company. Their website can be accessed at the following link: https://www.socalgas.com/stay-safe/emergency-information/natural-gas-leaks, their number is listed above.
Gas Leak Warning Signs
In it’s natural state, the natural gas that enters homes in Southern Calfornia would not emit any odor whatsoever. It is actually the perogative of SoCalGas to add the unpleasant “gas smell” to the gas it feeds into your home. This is done as a safety precaution to help homeowners detect the presence of a gas leak as quickly as possible. However, relying on the small test alone is not adviseable.
Additional signs of a natural gas leak:
Physiological symptoms of natural gas leak exposure:
Gas Leak Prevention Strategies
One of the best ways to help to avoid gas leaks in your home is to have gas-burning appliances and gas pipelines inspected by a local plumbing company. Most of the time gas leaks that occur could have prevented if the following steps were taken before the leak occured.
Arrange an annual plumbing inspection
An annual plumbing inspection can do far more than give you and your family peace of mind. It can protect your property from costly plumbing catastrophes and go a long way to keep your loved ones safe.
Ensure sufficient ventaliation
Making sure that all gas-burning appliances are equipped with proper ventalation is crucial. It will prevent natural gas from building up in small areas and becoming ignited
Have carbon monoxide detectors installed
It is part of the State of California’s apartment requirements that an active carbon monoxide detector be installed in every unit. This is good advice for single family homes as well. Carbon monoxide detectors look nearly identical to smoke detectors and function in the same way, too. Having a detector installed in each floor of the home and in each bedroom is the general recommendation.
How Do Most Gas Leaks Start?
Gas leaks pose a serious safety threat to Costa Mesa residents and require professional services from a gas leak detection and repair company. So, how do most gas leaks start? Here are a few of the most common causes of gas leaks:
Poorly fitted or badly maintained gas system
– Gas leaks are often the result of a poorly fitted or badly maintained gas system. If you have a new gas-powered appliance, it’s essential to work with a gas leak technician to reduce the risk of improper installation and ensure safety in your Costa Mesa home.
Normal wear and tear
– Due to normal wear and tear, gas pipes may bend, warp, or break over time. Due to this, the gas line damage can cause leaks, creating an opening in the pipe. This can happen in the line itself or to a gas-burning appliance, like a stove, oven, or boiler. If you suspect a gas leak, it’s crucial to call Costa Mesa gas leak detection and repair service as soon as possible.
– Seismic activity is also a potential contributor to gas leaks. If there was a recent earthquake in your area, immediately shut off your gas valve and call Tweedy Plumbing & Restoration in Costa Mesa to assess your gas line.
Outdated and obsolete appliances
– It is also important to remain cautious of older or vintage appliances. These home appliances are typically included in rental units and older buildings. Older machines increase the risk of developing a gas leak with unmaintained pipes. This can lead to warping and damage, which will result in a gas leak. If you suspect a gas-powered appliance is damaged, call our Costa Mesa gas leak detection and repair service right away.
When a gas line develops a leak, the gas inside will seep out. Over time, it will fill an open area, pushing out oxygen and creating a dangerous environment. Natural gas is a highly flammable substance, and if it leaks into and fills a space, it can easily ignite. According to the National Fire Protection Association, gas leaks are the leading factor contributing to house fires. If you suspect an appliance may have a gas leak, call our Costa Mesa plumber to assess your gas line.
Did The Gas Company Turn Your Gas Off Due To A Gas Leak?
If a gas leak is reported, the gas company may turn off service to a particular area to minimize risks while repairs are made. If you haven’t reported the leak to your gas company, somebody in your area may have. If you suspect a leak, contact a trusted Costa Mesa gas leak detection technician.
Having a Costa Mesa plumber inspect your pipes and appliances can ensure your property is safe from a gas leak. If you’re not sure why your gas is not working, Tweedy Plumbing & Restoration in Costa Mesa. It can be difficult and dangerous to attempt to repair a potential gas line problem without a professional gas leak detection technician.
Ensure your home or business is safe from gas leaks and call Tweedy Plumbing & Restoration for reliable and professional gas leak detection services in Costa Mesa!
We've used Tweedy plumbing many times over the past 7 or 8 years, & have never had any complaints. Excellent customer service, they always show up on time, they're clean & professional, and pricing has always been up front & honest. Highly recommended!
Extremely professional, helpful, and thorough! Tim from Tweedy Plumbing provided excellent service and solutions for our issues!! Would highly recommend Tweedy Plumbing for any needs!
Everyone from scheduling to service were great. Honest, to the point, and knowledgeable. They were able to fit me into their busy schedule withing hours...SAME DAY!!! I would recommend them in the Newport Mesa are for sure. FYI- they replaced the pilot assembly kit/thermocouple in my GE water heater. Not an easy task as it requires dis-assembly and taking the heater pan out.
They are INCREDIBLE and so honest and helpful. I had a leak under my fridge. They came out within the hour, didn't upcharge me for the emergency, and fixed the problem in 30 minutes. Honest and reliable .I will use and refer over and over again.